Monday, May 25, 2015

D Day Minus 5 Weather and Packing

We leave in five days.  So here are some things I did today to get ready

Weather

Spent some time today looking at the long range weather forecasts.   Long range weather forecasts by their very nature and inaccurate.   But here is what I gleaned from the review.

In general the weather for the trip will be a lot like what we have had here for the past week with some exceptions.  Lows in Wyoming and on Beartooth Pass will still be in the 40's....   At the top of Beartooth we expect lows in the mid 30's.

Some rain is still in the forecast for Wyoming.  It is characterized as thunderstorms rather than continuous rain.  Could be in the form of sleet or snow on Beartooth.

Saturday we expect to run into some rain on the way to Tupelo, MS.   But, as I said, long range forecasts are inaccurate.

The one exception is the trip from Flagstaff, AZ to Mesquite, NV.  Highs in Mesquite are expected to be in the 105 to 108 degree range.   But I have been told its a dry heat.

We have experienced temperatures like that before, on a trip to Oklahoma.  And it was hot.

Packing

Clothes are sort of easy.  Jeans, socks, underwear, rain gear, shorts (for the motel), slippers, and toilet kit. and heated jacket liner, sun screen, and bike cleaning gear (mostly for the plexiglass windscreen).

Emergency Items

Emergency items include: Digital VOM (handy for verification of power/blown fusses), Duct tape, spare fuses, a tire repair kit (includes some plugs and a CO2 inflation device), electrical tape, velcro fasteners, bungee cords, and some first aid essentials.   The first aid essentials are something I have not carried before.

There are some other odds and ends that I am carrying.   Small video camera, various electrical cords, my new MacBook Air, and chargers for the electronics.  Those are not bulky items but they do add up.



No comments:

Post a Comment