Sunday, June 14, 2015

Hannibal to Lebanon, TN and then Home.

Arrived home about 4:30 PM on Saturday (yesterday).   Total trip length, about 5, 850 mies

The trip from Hannibal to Lebanon, TN was basically uneventful.  About 450 miles.  No real issues but heat and traffic.   Lebanon, TN is not an oasis on I-40 but it had a Cracker Barrel, a Waffle House, and a nice Ice Cream place... So I had Ice Cream for the first time in several months yesterday after dinner.  

The trip from Lebanon, TN to Home was about 390 miles.  Uneventful except for traffic on the interstate.  There were two areas where traffic as backed up for miles because of construction work.  In both cases, we could have been warned about this well in advance and provided an alternate route. In one case I picked my own alternate route.  The interesting thing is that in one case, the work on the bridge on I-26, paralleled a new bridge that had no traffic.  In other words we could have left the interstate, taken the new bridge on a US route and then gotten back on, minimal fuss .

Traffic on the bridge was backed up both east and west.  The west bound traffic was backed for three or four miles.   I don't know if it was because it was summer and vacation time or, just normal.  

But, other than that and the car/SUV we saw turned over and 100 feet off the road and down an incline on I-26 it was uneventful.   We were lucky, it appeared it just happened otherwise it would have been another traffic jam.   I know, that is not being very sympathetic to the SUV's occupants but it appears it happened on a section of road that was not heavily traveled at the time and therefore probably just bad or distracted driving.


Below are some images from I-40 through South Dakota.   It is interesting to note that there appear to be no water issues in South Dakota or Wyoming for that matter.  So is it all just west of the Rockies, probably. And the roads in South Dakota an Minnesota are really straight.








When we got to Fairmont Minnesota on Wednesday we looked for a place for lunch.  Since Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes I figured this would be a good place to eat.  Had BBQ, not  bad for Minnesota.  Ate outside under the umbrellas.  It was a fairly busy place.




In summary a good trip.  No issues with the trip, hotel/motels or bikes.   If fact this is the first trip we have taken out west (except when I went with no other bikes) that we did not have a bike issue on the trip.  The Silver Lady preformed well....   Now I have to find some artist to put a couple of decals/paintings on her.  I was thinking of something like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment