We started on time, good weather, good road conditions and we made good time for the first 200 miles. DG
The other couple riding with us had an issue with rain gear so we found a place to stop in Amarillo, TX (a Honda shop) that had all the stuff they needed. that took about 45 minutes more or less. We took the opportunity to have lunch at a local BBQ place.
They did not have pork BBQ but beef BBQ and some other odds and ends. All and all, not bad, although the prices were a little high, but.....
Got back on the road, and had an ETA in Santa Rosa of 4:30. About 50 miles from Santa Rosa we noted a large storm in front of us. Since some of the riders had not ridden in heavy weather before, it was decided to turn around and ride back about 15 mile more or less to Tucumcari, NM.
We were lucky, we found a spot to turn around and went back to a Connivence Store in Tucumcari and waited about two hours for the store to sort of blew through. So, we arrived about 7:30. Mountain Daylight Time. When you get in that late, the consequences are you don't really get settled until 9 or so that night, depending on where you have dinner. I don't like fast food places (unless you call Waffle House a fast food place), so some special chains are ok (Cracker Barrel for breakfast, Texas Roadhouse any time) but in general we like the non chain local places. So, it takes some finite time to eat an get back to the room, un pack, shower and start to relax.
Tomorrow is about 440 miles and I hope we can manage to get in by 3:30 or 4:00. We only have one stop on the way and that is Winslow, AZ (yes the town in the song of the same name by The Eagles.
They have a couple of interesting things in the town and hopefully we will only spend an hour at most there, and maybe have lunch.
I have a confession to make. I do my best to test things out before a long trip. I tested the Silver Lady on a trip to Key West. I tested the new tire and oil change on a Saturday trip to the mountains.
Several months ago I purchased a new digital camera. The one I had was about five years old and was beginning to have some issues. So, I got a new one. I picked one that was advertised to be water resistant and drop resistance. Its not a bad camera, but it is not as easy to handle on the bike as the old one. It is slim and has the lens in the upper left hand side of the body, so when I use it in my left hand I tend to cover the lens with a finger. So, I don't have many pictures from the road. I have some. So, here are some of the pictures from the trip.
Johnny's Drive In in Tupelo, MS Its been there about 60 years or so, in the same spot.
Elvis's place in Tupelo. Its his house but not on the land where it was.
Its a Shotgun house, so called because you could open the from and back doors and fire a shotgun down the center of the house and not damage a thing.
Memphis, TN Graceland.
There is a wall around Graceland and you only get inside as part of a tour. The wall is adorned with signatures of visitors, its like a guest book for Graceland.
Ok some pictures from the road. Starting with Oklahoma
I know, not very informative. And the truck darn near blocked the view of the sign.
Pictures from Texas
The next two show some buttes which begin to appear as you leave western Texas. These may not really be buttes because they jut out for the land rather than standing alone. I will work on finding a real name for them...
It is getting late (well its only 1030 here or 130 AM back home. Hopefully better pictures tomorrow. And an earlier arrival time.
No comments:
Post a Comment